Monday, March 5, 2012

Throwback Hike: Sentinel Dome & Taft Point

So I thought it would be a good idea to put up some of my favorite hikes from the past because after all, I did hike before I bought my new pair of boots and there is no sense in skipping over great hikes just because they are in the past. So I will kick off my Throwback series, with a hike from my 2010 trip to Yosemite National Park: Sentinel Dome & Taft Point. So as I'm sure many of you are aware of Yosemite NP, but prob not many of you have actually been there, it is, to sum it up in one word goddamncompletelyawesome, and even though my computer might not think so, as it has underlined it in red squiggles, that is a real word. And most of the words I type are underlined in red anyways. But back to the hike; it's a pretty short and easy to access hike within Yosemite, which is home to far too many trails to count, most of which can prove to be a bit more challenging. The trail head to both of these short hikes are located on Glacier Point road, also known for the view at Glacier Point, which is the most over populated, picture saturated viewing point in the whole park. Sentinel Dome on the other hand offers a similar if not better view of the Sierra Nevada's and Yosemite Valley, and it cuts down the crowd from about one thousand people to about a dozen. The trails run through thick forest and it's not uncommon to spot a bear while hiking here (we just missed some, as the hikers ahead of us told us they spotted a couple). After a short hike to the namesake of each hike you are treated to one of the best views you have likely ever seen, at least for me it was. Taft point sports a cliff that juts out over Yosemite Valley and drops strait down 1,600 feet and there is a small railing at the edge you can use to lean over if your up to it. Overall one of the craziest views I've ever seen before. The final section of the hike heads back into the forest and up to Sentinel Dome, (both of these hikes are connected and can be done in a loop) which is a also a dome like the more famous Half Dome, but it doesn't require a permit to climb and takes a lot less time. Sentinel Dome is also famous for the location of the Jeffery Tree, made famous in Anzel Adams photography. The tree is long since dead but still makes for a great subject to shoot. This hike was around 4.5 five miles round trip and sports two extraordinary views and lets you avoid the crowds of the major viewing areas. Finally I would highly recommend visiting Yosemite National Park, as it will literally take your breath away, then once there, hike the shit out of these two places, they are not to be missed.

Mileage: 4.5 Miles (On the old boots)

The Jeffery Tree

Taft Point Overlook

View From Taft Point

Yosemite Falls from Taft Point

My Dad on the hike.

Hikers Paradise.

View from Sentinel Dome.

Another view from Sentinel Dome.

No comments:

Post a Comment