Monday, December 30, 2013

Random Hikes from 2013




2013 has been a great year for me and the blog. I was able to hike in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Texas, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Canada, and Maine. I saw some great things, and had some great times. From a bear encounter to a rock climbing ticket, this year has been awesome. I had hoped to up the anti this year in terms of expanding the blog and reaching more people, and in most aspects I believe I was successful. I hiked more miles this year than last (the exact amount will be tallied up in the weeks to come), I started the community site (which may have been neglected a bit), I updated my posting method and tried to broaden the topics I wrote about.
It was a good start, but I still have much more to do and hopefully 2014 will be the year for that. Not only is this the end of a great year but it is, sadly, the end of the boots. After 250+ miles of desert, mountain, forest, tundra, and plains' stomping action the boots are tattered beyond repair. I am still trying to decide on a proper send off, though nothing short of a twenty-one gun salute and a viking funeral would do them justice.
As with years past, there is always a number of hikes that don't end up on the blog for one reason or another, so this post and the accompanying pictures will serve as their honorable mention. A hike to a pair of old railroad bridges, a fall jaunt in the Berkshires, and a trek in South Hamilton, MA are just a few of the hikes that didn't make the cut this year.
2014 is going to be another great year so stay tuned for some big announcements in the coming weeks as I get everything sorted out. Congratulations to Nancy Bajek for hiking the most miles this year, which makes her the winner of a brand new shiny pair of hiking boots. Have a Happy New Year everybody!


Mileage: 12 miles

Mantis Tobogan.

Bridge Repelling.

Mountain beer.

Through the woods.

From the ground up.

Into the sun.

These guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment